Swear I'm not Paul: Album Reviews: 28 July 2008

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.swearimnotpaul.com and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Album Reviews: 28 July 2008

So here's another weekly (sorry about last week, I was lazy!) round-up of all the albums worth checking out, or not, as the case may be.

New on Metacritic this week


Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
I'm not going to mention the picture of the two dogs, everyone has complained/championed it. But the Black Kids' debut album isn't as bad as 3.3 or whatever. Fair enough, it breaks no new ground, but it is perfect fodder when you're not in the mood for concentrating on lyrics. Perfect on a sunny day like today. Just put it on, and drive.


Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip album coverWhy in their right mind would anyone buy this album, when it's still available for download for the super low-low price of FREE? It's still available here: http://theslip.nin.com/, so you really have no excuse for not owning it. Well you do have an excuse: if you don't like NIN. It's not everyone's cup of tea. And if you're like me, and don't drink tea, sometimes you have to turn down the freebies!


Paul Weller - 22 Dreams
Paul Weller - 22 Dreams coverI read in the Metro this morning that he hates ebing called the 'Modfather'. Personally I don't blame him, it's a ridiculous portmanteau. But if you're a fan of Weller at all (be it solo, with The Jam or The Style Coucil, and who isn't?), then you should enjoy this, his best release since Wild Wood. It's very long, but rewards repeated listens.


CSS - Donkey
CSS - DonkeyI must say, I wasn't a huge fan of CSS the first time around. I liked some of their songs, and what Tom Dunne and the like played on radio wasn't too bad at all. But their brand of electro-pop, jesus look at me, don't I play deliriously happy tunes combined with my horrendous dress sense, never really did too much for me. This, their second album, will not gain any new fans. And on top of that, it's so much of a letdown, they might even lose some of their original fans. Sophomore Slump indeed.


Miley Cyrus - Breakout
Miley Cyrus - BreakoutShe's the kid who plays Hannah Montana on the TV, and in films etc. She's also the kid that caused uproar by showing her naked back. Shocker! In addition to that, she's Mister 'Achy Breaky Heart' Billy-Ray Cyrus's daughter. If that doesn't make you want to buy the album, nothing will. And can anyone tell me how Hannah Montana is pronounced? Mon-tah-na or Mon-tan-a? Just so I can lose an argument to my better half.


Dr. Dog - Fate
Dr. Dog - FateThis is the veternarian's fifth album, and shows a band getting better with age. It's another bunch of summery indie-pop tunes, that will make you want to sit out in the grass and maybe if you're so inclined, discuss what shapes the clouds are forming. The band have honed their style here, and it proves to be their best outing so far.


iForward, Russia! - Life Processes
iFoward, Russia! - Life ProcessesAnother band that I never really understood the hype for. And once again I'm proven correct by this, their quite average second album. I suppose the thing about making second albums is that you use all your good material, a lifetime's worth, on your debut, and then have to formulate ten tracks out of nothing in a year. Sometimes being a one-hit-wonder might not be so bad. "And I said what about Breakfast at Tiffany's"!


Other Releases This Week

Primal Scream - Beautiful Future
Primal Scream - Beuatiful FutureA lot of us have Screamadelica in our record collections. And rightly so, it's still a fantastic album. For years now, Bobby Gillespie and co. have been trying to recreate it. While nothing has come close, they can still make decent music. Their new album is no different. It's nothing groundbreaking, and a bit more of the same. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and this is sure to be enjoyed by people who still wished we lived in the 1990s.



Gavin DeGraw - Gavin DeGraw

Gavin DeGrawThere are many people I know who are fans of Gavin DeGraw. And there's nothing at all wrong with that. I must admit I'm partial to his debut album now and then, and 'I Don't Wanna Be' is a damn good theme song, I don't care what anyone says. However, his second record is a bit of a letdown. There is nothing that strikes you as immediately great, and his lyrics are even more half-baked than before. "Tell 'em, "Say no to drugs" / "Substances make you dumb" / Unless you get 'em from / Someone who loves you." Thoroughly awful.

No comments: