Swear I'm not Paul: News: Elbow win 2008 Mercury Music Prize

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.swearimnotpaul.com and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

News: Elbow win 2008 Mercury Music Prize

I hate to tell you I didn't tell you so:
http://swearimnotpaul.blogspot.com/2008/07/news-mercury-music-prize-2008.html

But I said that Elbow would get too much backlash from the cool kids if they won the Mercury. Well they did, and the band The Cool Kids haven't complained. Yet.

Congrats to them, but I must say I'm surprised. The bookies must be delighted, as favourites Burial didn't get it this year. The Seldom Seen Kid is a decent album, but I don't think it's as good as some of the others on the lisy. That said I'm on the judging panel for absolutely nothing, so what would I know anyway? Plus, 82 on Metacritic. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance. I was probably too busy listening to Jape anyway.

Singer Guy Garvey said "I had a tenner on Radiohead. It just feels great, very unexpected. You look at it in the same way as Bedouin tribes look at a pint of milk. It doesn't happen very often but it's all the sweeter. It's been a long time we've been doing it so it's cause for celebration. To the rest of the lads I'm so proud to do it with it with my best mates."

Watch them winning the award here:

No comments: