Swear I'm not Paul: Lists: Not Paul's Musical Genealogy

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.swearimnotpaul.com and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Lists: Not Paul's Musical Genealogy

Mic Christopher Skylarkin album cover
Indulge me if you will, for I have stumbled upton an idea of genius. Well, other Irish bloggers, UnaRocks and Nialler9 have shown me the light!

The idea (spreading through the blogging world like wildfire), is to name your favourite album from every year you were alive in. Pretty cool, right? Note I probably didn't hear most of these until well past the 80s, but you get the gist!

Picking one is tricky, do I go with The Smiths (who had two albums) or U2 or Talking Heads in 1984? Do I pick or Bruce Willis The Return of Bruno from 1987 or Rick Astley? Seriously though, 2003 was tough: Postal Service, Kings of Leon, Greendale. Tough.

I also wanted to pick Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live 1975-1985, but greatest hits and live albums have an unfair advantage. It's fantastic though. My favourite live album.

Note: these are my favourites. There may be better albums out there, but these are the ones I listen to most often.

1984: U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
1985: Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
1986: The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
1987: Michael Jackson - Bad
1988: Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
1989: Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
1990: Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory
1991: Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
1992: Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
1993: Counting Crows - August and Everything After
1994: Jeff Buckley - Grace
1995: Radiohead - The Bends
1996: Dave Matthews Band - Crash
1997: Radiohead - OK Computer
1998: Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
1999: Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
2000: Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
2001: Mic Christopher - Skylarkin'
2002: Badly Drawn Boy - About A Boy OST
2003: The Postal Service - Give Up
2004: Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
2005: Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
2006: Seth Lakeman - Freedom Fields
2007: Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
2008: Destroyer - Trouble in Dreams (This could change, we have half a year left)

1 comment:

Cathal said...

kul...i might have a go at this!!!!